‘In their eyes the attackers are martyrs’: Islamic sheikh claims Saudi Arabian team refused minute’s silence for London terror victims because under Sharia law ‘it’s not a sin for a Muslim to kill a non-believer’

on
  • Muslim imam claims it is not in Saudi Arabia culture to refuse a minute’s silence 
  • He says the football team may believe it is ‘not wrong or a sin’ to kill a non-Muslim
  • It comes after the Saudi Arabia football team did not take part in the mourning
  • The team refused to stand still as stadium quietly paid tribute to terror victims

An Islamic imam has suggested the Saudi Arabian team refused to take part in a minute’s silence for the London terror victims because they believe ‘it is not a sin for a Muslim to kill a non-believer’.

Sheikh Mohammad Tawhidi says it is a ‘lie’ to say the Muslim culture does not remember the dead with a moment of silence, and instead argues the football team did not partake in the mourning because they stand with the jihadist men.

‘They did not stop for a moment of silence because according to Wahhabi Islam – which governs Saudi Arabia – it is not wrong or a sin for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim,’ he told Daily Mail Australia.

Scroll down for video 

Sheikh Mohammad Tawhidi (pictured) says it is a 'lie' to say the Muslim culture does not remember the dead with a moment of silence

Sheikh Mohammad Tawhidi (pictured) says it is a ‘lie’ to say the Muslim culture does not remember the dead with a moment of silence

The Saudi Arabian soccer team failed to line up for a minute's silence for the London terror victims on Thursday night 

The Saudi Arabian soccer team failed to line up for a minute’s silence for the London terror victims on Thursday night

‘Their response suggests that within Muslim culture they don’t remember the dead with a moment of silence. This is a lie.’

Sheikh Tawhidi says under Islam Sharia law it is not ‘wrong’ or a ‘sin’ for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim.

‘In their eyes the attackers are martyrs who are going to paradise. And if they stand for a minute of silence they are against their Muslim brothers who fought for jihad and fought the “infidels”,’ he said.

Sheikh Tawidi also added the team would have been ‘ridiculed’ back home if they had commemorated the victims of the London terrorist attack.

But this may not be the view of every player within the Saudi team, he pointed out.

Sheikh Tawhidi (pictured) says under Islam Sharia law it is not 'wrong' or a 'sin' for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim

Sheikh Tawhidi (pictured) says under Islam Sharia law it is not ‘wrong’ or a ‘sin’ for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim

Fans were left outraged at the display ahead of a World Cup qualifier against Australia in Adelaide 

Fans were left outraged at the display ahead of a World Cup qualifier against Australia in Adelaide

The Saudi Arabian soccer team defended its refusal to stand in silence to mourn the Australian victims of the recent terror attack at the World Cup qualifier because it is not in keeping with their culture.

A spokesman for Football Federation Australia explained they were told a minute of silence was ‘not in keeping with Saudi culture’ ahead of the match.

Fans were left outraged at the display ahead of the World Cup qualifier against Australia in Adelaide.

Pictures show the Australian team lined up at the halfway mark, with the Saudi players ignoring the gesture as they moved into formation to start the game.

Saudi players on the bench also refused to stand for the minute’s silence.

A spokesperson from the Football Federation Australia told Daily Mail Australia they had been advised prior to the match that the Saudi team would not be taking part.

‘The FFA sought agreement from the Asian Football Confederation and the Saudi national team to hold a minute’s silence in memory of those lost in Saturday night’s terror bombings in London and in particular the two Australian women,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Both the AFC and the Saudi team agreed that the minute of silence could be held.

‘The FFA was further advised by Saudi team officials that this tradition was not in keeping with Saudi culture and they would move to their side of the field and respect our custom whilst taking their own positions on the field.

‘The local broadcaster, FOXSPORTS, was informed of this prior to the minute’s silence taking place.’

Australian football fans on social media were furious, and lashed out against the team.

The Australian football team lined up with their arms linked to pay their respects to those caught up in the recent attack on London

The Australian football team lined up with their arms linked to pay their respects to those caught up in the recent attack on London

‘Minutes silence for London terror, Saudi players wandering around like they don’t give a f***, Saudi fans shouting the whole time #AUSvKSA,’ a man named Adam tweeted.

Others called for official measures to be taken against the team.

‘I hope FFA call out Saudi Arabia on the clear lack of respect shown prior to KO. Not participating in the minutes silence is disgusting,’ user PG3_12 wrote.

A Saudi fan attempted to explain the minute of silence was not part of their culture, but Australian fans did not want a bar of it

A Saudi fan attempted to explain the minute of silence was not part of their culture, but Australian fans did not want a bar of it

However, some Saudi fans claimed it was not within Islamic culture to take a moment of silence to respect the dead.

‘They come from a different culture. They just don’t understand the point of being silence for a minute to show sadness.. we never do it in KSA,’ one fan wrote.’

The majority of the Saudi side are Muslim, and to honour the dead, it is understood they pray, give to charity and speak highly of the person, but rarely observe silence.

Minutes of silence are a common occurrence in the Premier League, and Muslim players are not known to boycott the mark of respect.

The game added extra tension to an already important match, but Australia came out on top with a score of 3-2.

Saudi FA, FFA, FIFA and the AFC have been approached for comment.

Some fans called for official measures to be taken against the Saudi team (pictured: the Australian team observing the minute of silence)

Some fans called for official measures to be taken against the Saudi team (pictured: the Australian team observing the minute of silence)

Outraged fans were at least given a reason to smile later in the game as Australia beat Saudi Arabia 3-2

Outraged fans were at least given a reason to smile later in the game as Australia beat Saudi Arabia 3-2

Two Australians were killed in Saturday night’s terror attack on London Bridge and nearby Borough Market.

Nanny Sara Zelenak, 21, was confirmed dead on Wednesday, after her mother flew to London to try and find her.

She had been separated from her friend on London Bridge just before the violent attack began.

Nurse Kristy Boden was also killed in the attack. She had run to help victims when she was also murdered by the terrorists.

Four Australians were caught up in the attack in total, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has said.

They included Candice Hedge who is recovering in hospital after undergoing surgery after being stabbed in her neck.

Darwin electrician Andrew Morrison has travelled back to Australia after receiving stitches after he was knifed in the neck.

Australian nanny Sara Zelenak (pictured) was confirmed dead on Wednesday after being missing for four days following the attack

Australian nanny Sara Zelenak (pictured) was confirmed dead on Wednesday after being missing for four days following the attack

Kirsty Boden (pictured), from Loxton, in South Australia, was killed by knife-wielding terrorists as she ran to help victims of Saturday night's London terror attack

Kirsty Boden (pictured), from Loxton, in South Australia, was killed by knife-wielding terrorists as she ran to help victims of Saturday night’s London terror attack

E-learning business owner James McMullan, 32, from Hackney in east London, was killed while he was out celebrating his first million pound deal.

Canadian Christine Archibald, 30, had died in her fiance’s arms after being struck by a speeding van. She was the first victim to be named.

Frenchman Alexandre Pigeard, 27, from Colleville-Montgomery, in Normandy, was killed at the Boro Bistro restaurant where he worked.

Mr Pigeard was stabbed in the neck in front of friends, according to his manager.

French citizen Xavier Thomas is believed to have gone missing after the attack.

The teams were cordial towards each other as they arrived at the pitch, but tensions flared moments after when the Saudi team failed to observe the minute of silence

The teams were cordial towards each other as they arrived at the pitch, but tensions flared moments after when the Saudi team failed to observe the minute of silence

He is understood to have been with his girlfriend Christine Delcros when the attack took place. Ms Delcros is said to be injured in hospital.

Ignacio Echeverria, 39, used his skateboard as a weapon against a knife-wielding terrorist as he tried to save a woman from being attacked, it has been revealed.

He lived in London, but hailed from Las Rozas near Madrid.

Frenchman Sebastien Belanger has not been seen since the attack.

The three terrorists behind the attacks have been named as Rachid Redouane, Khuram Butt and Youssef Zaghba.

All three were shot dead by police within eight minutes of the first emergency call.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s